Italian strawberry crostata, also known as crostata di fragole, is a classic Italian dessert that is typically served during the spring and summer months when fresh strawberries are in season. This dessert consists of a buttery shortcrust pastry filled with a creamy custard and topped with fresh strawberries. The pastry is made by mixing flour, sugar, eggs, and butter, which is then chilled before being rolled out and baked in a tart pan. The filling is made with eggs, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, and is cooked until thick and creamy. Once the pastry and filling are cooled, fresh strawberries are arranged on top, making for a beautiful and delicious dessert that is perfect for any occasion.
For the cream:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 liter of whole milk (preferably BIO)
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 60 grams of corn starch
- 1 sachet of vanillin
- 180 grams of sugar
For the short pastry:
- 300 grams of flour
- 100 grams of butter
- 100 grams of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Peel of 1 lemon
- A pinch of salt
- 400 grams of fresh strawberries (it’s recommended to buy at least another 500 grams for tasting)
- 1 sachet of gelatin
- Begin by making the short pastry. In a bowl, mix the flour, butter, sugar, baking powder, eggs, lemon peel, and salt until you get a smooth and uniform dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Roll out the short pastry dough on a floured surface and line a 24 cm (9 inch) tart pan. Trim the excess dough and prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, lemon peel, and half of the sugar. In a bowl, mix the remaining sugar, corn starch, and vanillin. Add the egg yolks and mix well. Pour the mixture into the saucepan with the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the cream thickens. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Once the cream is cooled, spread it evenly on the short pastry crust.
- Wash and dry the strawberries. Arrange them on top of the cream.
- Prepare the gelatin according to the package instructions and brush it over the strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve chilled and enjoy your delicious Italian strawberry crostata!
Note: You can also decorate with whipped cream or powdered sugar, if desired.
And here is the strawberry tart ready to be tasted … too bad that my nephew’s is already over !!!
Then good appetite to you!
Have you tried our other sweets?
grandma adele’s italian original recipes
Leave a Reply