Eggplant meatballs, also known as “polpette di melanzane” in Italian, are a delicious and healthy vegetarian alternative to traditional meatballs. This dish is perfect for those who are looking for a meat-free meal without sacrificing flavor or texture. The eggplant provides a meaty texture while also adding a unique flavor that pairs well with a variety of sauces and spices. These meatballs can be enjoyed as a main dish or served as an appetizer, and they are sure to please even the most discerning palates. In this recipe, we will be using eggplant, breadcrumbs, cheese, and herbs to create a flavorful and satisfying dish that is sure to become a favorite in your household.
- 250 g stale bread
- 4 eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 50 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 sprig of parsley
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Breadcrumbs to taste
- Frying oil to taste
- Cut the eggplants into cubes and cook them in a pot of boiling salted water for 10 minutes or until they are soft.
- Drain the eggplant cubes and let them cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, crumble the stale bread into small pieces.
- Add the cooled eggplant cubes to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add them to the eggplant mixture.
- Gradually add the breadcrumbs to the mixture until it reaches a consistency that is easy to shape into meatballs.
- Heat the frying oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Shape the eggplant mixture into small meatballs and gently fry them in the hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy on all sides.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the meatballs from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Serve the eggplant meatballs hot with your favorite sauce or as a main dish with a side of vegetables.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy eggplant meatballs!
Enjoy your meal!
Have you tried all our side dishes?
grandma adele’s italian original recipes