Cream biscuits, also known as “cornetti alla crema” in Italian, are a delicious and lucky treat that brings good fortune to those who prepare and consume them. Their unique shape resembles the famous horn of Naples, which is believed to bring good luck according to Italian folklore. These biscuits are made using molds with an elongated shape, which give them their signature form.
These biscuits are quick and easy to prepare, making them a perfect choice for breakfast or a tasty dessert. They are light and fluffy, with a delicate texture that melts in your mouth. While they are traditionally filled with cream, such as pastry cream or vanilla cream, they can also be filled with other delicious fillings such as Nutella or hazelnut cream.
In Italian culture, cream biscuits are often enjoyed with a cup of coffee or tea in the morning or afternoon, as a sweet and indulgent treat. They are also commonly served at special occasions such as weddings, baptisms, and other celebrations.
Whether you are looking to bring some luck into your life or simply want to indulge in a tasty and satisfying treat, cream biscuits are sure to delight your taste buds and leave you feeling happy and satisfied. So why not try making your own batch of cream biscuits today and experience the deliciousness and good luck for yourself!
- 230 g rectangular puff pastry
- Icing sugar, as needed
For the custard:
- 1/2 liter milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 g thickener (potato starch, cornstarch, or 00 flour)
- 100 g sugar
- 1 sachet of vanillin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface until it’s thin and flat.
- Cut the puff pastry into triangles or rectangles, depending on your preference.
- Place the puff pastry pieces on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the puff pastry in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the puff pastry from the oven and allow it to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the custard by whisking the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the thickener and vanillin to the mixture and stir well.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until it comes to a boil.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the boiling milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Cook the custard over low heat, stirring continuously, until it thickens.
- Remove the custard from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Once the puff pastry has cooled, cut it in half and fill it with the custard.
- Sprinkle the cream biscuits with icing sugar and serve them immediately.
Enjoy your delicious cream biscuits!
Your cream biscuits are ready for you!
Enjoy your meal and good luck!
Have you tried our other sweets?
grandma adele’s italian original recipes